Update – my low carb keto carrot cake has just hit the number one spot on Google AND its only 3.8g NET carbs.
The recipe is so popular because it’s so simple and has no added sugar, it’s gluten-free, grain-free and topped off with the most delicious cream cheese frosting.
You can even use the simple low-carb, sugar-free and gluten-free cake batter for healthy carrot cupcakes too.
In this post you’ll find:
- Why I developed a keto carrot cake recipe
- Which flour to use to make a delicious low-carb carrot cake
- How to make a decadent cream cheese frosting
- How to make a perfect keto carrot cake
Why develop a keto carrot cake recipe?
I once asked my Low-Carb and Keto For Beginners Group “who misses carrot cake when going low carb”?
I was overwhelmed by the response … it was a resounding YES!!!
Well, you clearly don’t need to miss you carrot cake anymore because my low-carb carrot cake recipe is versatile and super easy.
It can be baked as a one or two-layer cake, muffins, cupcakes or as a slice.
Low-Carb Carrot Cake – which flour to use?
I prefer to use either almond flour or almond meal.
They both work brilliantly. However, as with most natural and unprocessed low-carb and keto flours, they are not standardised and so will vary considerably from brand to brand, and even batch to batch.
So when making any low-carb baking, you will become accustomed to experimenting with possibly adding some additional low-carb flour to your batter to ensure it is the correct cake consistency.
Some almond flour/meal will absorb more liquids from your cake batter than others. Even how you store your almond flour/meal is important to prevent the flour absorbing moisture from the air (and hence, less from your cake batter).
So if in doubt, add some additional almond flour to thicken your cake batter.
Read more: The Ultimate Guide To Low-Carb Flours
Further update – I managed to make my low carb carrot cake using ground sunflower seeds when I ran out of almond meal/flour. The cake was superb. This may be a good option if you would like to make the cake nut-free (also omit the walnuts which are optional anyway).
Cream Cheese Frosting
This classic low-carb carrot cake with cream cheese icing is a fabulous treat with your morning coffee or as a low-carb dessert.
Top Tip: Always allow this healthy sugar-free carrot cake to completely cool before adding your frosting/icing.
Keto Carrot Cake Tips
- Wondering what size of cake pan to use? I used an 8 inch/ 20 cm cake tin.
- You may use the same carrot cake batter to make a keto carrot loaf, keto carrot muffins or mini keto carrot cupcakes. Simply adjust your baking time and keep a close eye on it to make sure it cooks properly.
- Always allow your cake to be completely cooled before frosting/icing your low-carb carrot cake otherwise the icing will melt and slide right off the cake rather than rest on top.
- Brands of almond flour/meal vary considerably to how much liquid from the batter the flour/meal will absorb. To prevent your cake from being too moist there are two main things to watch for:
- Firstly, you may need to use additional almond flour/meal to ensure correct cake batter consistency. I recommend sprinkling in a bit at a time until you get that standard cake batter look.
- Secondly, always allow the cake to cool completely so it may have time to absorb any butter that may have rendered out during cooking.
Does anyone else have a watering mouth yet? This keto carrot cake is at the top of my favorite dessert list. It has all the flavour I crave, but none of the guilt or sluggish carbs. Make one for yourself and see!
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Want to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Get healthy low-carb recipes you’ll LOVE – DON’T WAIT – BUY NOW
Keto Carrot Cake
A tasty low-carb carrot cake with cream cheese icing. It has a wonderful texture and taste of a traditional carrot cake to fool your friends. Great to take as a dessert for after dinner or a morning tea.
Servings: 10 large slices
NET carbs: 3.8g
Adjustable servings >> 10 large slices
Low-Carb Carrot Cake
Beat eggs, melted butter, sweetener, and vanilla together.
Add grated/shredded carrot, walnuts, and coconut then mix almond meal/flour, spices and baking powder.
Pour into a greased and lined tin. Bake at 180C/350F for 40-50 minutes or until a fork pushed in, comes out clean.
Ensure your cake is completely cool before icing/frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Warm the cream cheese in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften it.
Stir in 1-2 tbs sweetener of choice.
You could also add some lemon zest to give it more flavour. This would add a small number of carbs.
Cover with cream cheese frosting.
- I used an 8 inch/ 20 cm cake tin.
- Always allow your cake to be completely cooled before frosting/icing your low-carb carrot cake
- Brands of almond flour/meal vary considerably to how much liquid from the batter the flour/meal will absorb. To prevent your cake from being too moist:
- you may need to use additional almond flour/meal to ensure correct cake batter consistency
- always allow the cake to cool completely so it may have time to absorb any butter that may have rendered out during cooking
Keto Carrot Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 284
% Daily Value*
Total Carbohydrates 5.8g2%
NET carbs 3.8g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.